Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The Upside of Packing Up My Classroom


I know it is only for a year... but it seems so strange to be going in and packing up my classroom today. I've defined myself as being a teacher. What it comes down to is having to had resigned instead of simply taking a leave of absence (I've taught in 3 school districts and never gained the tenure Anchorage requires to do so). Besides the monetary challenge of being down a salary this is what I like least about taking the year off - knowing I'm going to have to set up shop all over again and probably in a new school when I return. I'm not sure where all the stuff is going to go in our garage as we've started packing up our house too. I would rather be heading down to Girdwood with the Mommy hiking group, I've yet to do a hike with. It seems like such an insurmountable task to get all my materials and books packed away with a baby, who is going through a likes-to-beheld-all-the time stage. I'm going in with Ollie today to get started. Tomorrow I have someone to watch him while I get most of it done myself. Then, Ben will leave work a little early to help me get it all home.

The UPSIDE - the gigantic, stupendous, fantastic upside - is that I have the whole year to be with Ollie, to watch him learn to walk and talk. That is priceless!

No comments:

Post a Comment